The MK.VIII was produced for two years from 1956 to 1958. A total of only 6,300 cars were built making it the rarest of all the Jaguar large luxury saloons.
The MK.VIII was introduced in October 1956 with a one-piece windscreen, cut-away rear wheel spats, two-tone paintwork separated by chrome strips and the famous Leaping Jaguar mascot on the bonnet. Performance was enhanced by the introduction of the B-type head which produced more power at lower revs, a twin exhaust system and the optional automatic gearbox now had an intermediate speed-hold. Power steering was also an option. The interior of the car remained basically the same as the MK.VII, but picnic tables were fitted into the backs of the front seats as was an electric clock. A folding armrest was fitted into the centre of the rear seat and the boot was lined with a Hardura material.